🌐 Release on Web
Now you have an uploaded build - time to manage and publish it through the Pley Game Manager!
Game Manager Access
This article assumes you have Pley developer permission and can access the Game Manager. If you do not, please read 💖 Getting Started.
Creating a release on Pley is the final step to letting someone play your game on the web.
RELEASE = BUILD + CONTAINER
A Release consists of a Build and a Container Version. This is key to keep in mind when working on releases on Pley. Outside of a release, there are also the Storefront and IAP products (discussed later).
Creating a Release
1) Have a Game Build uploaded
2) Create Containers (& Scripts)
3) Game Settings & Presence
4) Create Release
1. Game Build
By selecting builds within your game project in the Game Manager at Manage.Pley.gg you'll find all the game builds that have been uploaded from the SDK in Unity.
The game build is a specific uploaded version of your game.
2. Containers & Scripts
The Container is the iFrame that your game runs in on the web (either on Pley.gg or as an embed on any website). You may leave it completely empty unless you have specific needs for it. Container scripts are not required (Optional) to get your game running -- leave them empty if you'd like!
1) Select Container in the Game Manager, you can list all your existing container versions.
2) Press New version, to create your first empty container.
3) You can configure your IFrame scripts here. You can test run your scripts together with a build by pressing Run.
4) Press Save & Create version once you're ready to save the container (empty is fine) so it can be used in upcoming releases. You'll see it's no longer marked as a draft in the container list.
Container Scripts are Optional!
Changing created containers?
Note that you can not edit the scripts in the Container version once it has been created.
If you later want to make changes to your container, you will have to create a new version.
3. Game Settings (Optional)
Now is a perfect time to update the settings, upload your visual assets, and overall create a customized experience of playing your game! This is optional and not required to play the game right now!
This is done from within the Pley Game Manager > Game-Project > Game Settings.
Game Settings, Game Presence, & Visuals Assets
Before launching, you should set up the visual presentation of your games; logos, splash art, and loading screen visuals. The Game Settings documentation makes it easy to set up!
4. Creating a Release
Now, we are going to create a playable release of your game.
Later, in Overview | Integration, we'll add all the functionalities and integration you'll need.
For now, let's make your game playable on the web!
1) Under Releases in the Game Manager Project you can list and inspect all your releases. Every row shows which Build and Container Version each Release consists of.
2) Select New Release.
3) Pick which Build and Container Version for the release.
4) Add a release name ("v7.2 Holiday Release") and any release notes of what changes have been made (neither are visible to the player).
5) Press Publish to production to publish the release.
Testing before Releasing?
Before publishing, you can save the Release as a draft and test it first by pressing Run. Your game will then run in browser along with the container script - without making it live to your players.
You'll see the new release marked as Live in the list.
Only one release can be a live per game, and will be the game version players can play, either on Pley or through an embedded Iframe!
Congrats, your game is now running on Trail! You can play the game through either the Trail link or the embedding, both of which you can find on the Game Manager releases page!
Click here to learn how!
If you need help in any way, you can always talk to us on Discord →
Your game now plays on the web!
The next step is to add the features, capabilities, and integrations you need to integrate everything else you need!
Updated about 1 month ago